Fried fish is a summertime favorite at our house, but we also keep crappie in our freezer to eat any time of the year! We store it by adding the fish to a Ziploc bag and then filling the empty space with water and sealing it with as few air bubbles as possible. When it is time to fry some up, I take it out of the freezer and quickly thaw it by placing it in the sink filled with room-temperature water.
Once it is thawed, I get started!
Louisiana cornmeal fish fry
Canola oil or vegetable oil
- Begin heating the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Rinse the fish in clean water a couple of times.
- Add cornmeal breading to one-gallon Ziploc bag, and two eggs to another bag.
- Shake the fish in the eggs and then the breading, being sure to thoroughly coat it.
- Test the oil with a small piece of fish to make sure it is hot enough. If it bubbles vigorously, it is ready.
- Let the fish cook until it is golden brown, then take it out and place it on a plate with a few layers of paper towels to soak up the extra oil.
That is it! I hope you enjoy 🙂